Thursday, April 16, 2009

Say it Ain't So, Johnny!


NBC broadcaster John Madden retires

26 minutes ago

NEW YORK (AP)—John Madden, the burly former coach who has been one of pro football’s most popular broadcast analysts for three decades, is calling it quits.

Madden worked for the past three seasons on NBC “Sunday Night Football.” His last telecast was the Super Bowl between Arizona and Pittsburgh.

“It’s time,” Madden said. “I’m 73 years old. My 50th wedding anniversary is this fall. I have two great sons and their families and their five grandchildren are at an age now when they know when I’m home and, more importantly, when I’m not.”

Cris Collinsworth will replace Madden, moving over from the network’s studio show, NBC Sports chief Dick Ebersol said. Collinsworth filled in when Madden took a game off last October.


Read the rest here.

Love him or hate him, his fodder made the Sunday (and before that, Monday) night broadcasts. Collinsworth is just so ... uncodgery! Coherent! Such a departure form the norm!

This with the murmurs of an extended football season; well. I just don't know what to think of the NFL anymore. Flawed as it is, John Madden is one of the great figures that represented the heart and soul of the league as it once was.

It's just a good thing Mike Shannon is still around in St. Louis. I think the day he retires, I will cry. Like the little girl I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment